Sunday, November 24, 2013

Red Rapunzel

ok, I burned through the chart..and it's coming along nicely:

Rapunzel Main Cable

and the side lacing cable looks good too:

Rapunzel Lacing Cable

the pic looks a little pink on my monitor..it's really a red with darker black streaks in it..similar to Madtosh Tart.

Rapunzel Cables


Just a few rows to finish up the chart..and then, I'll be measuring and knitting on the body.
The designer put the 2 charts on separate pages and they're different sizes..so you can see the physical mash up I made to enlarge the main chart 165% and copy the X chart so it could continue and match the main chart. This made it a lot easier to knit. Also, my little diagram in the forefront there to keep track of the sections until it was more apparent what to do...and I love.love. the yellow highlighter tape - way easier to use, and reposition if you need to go back.

The cable rows set up the following row's knits and purls..so if you swing the cable the wrong way, it's pretty easy to detect and fix.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Rapunzel and Audrey Finished Photos

I'm about half way through the chart for Rapunzel. I was a wee bit worried that it would be too big, but as it turns out, it was too early to measure at 8 rows. I put it on a bit of yarn and it sucked right in. now, it's looking lovely..

I also returned the Canon last weekend, yep, after I just bought it on Friday...the color just wasn't accurate enough to warrant keeping it. Instead, I bought 2 extra batteries and a battery charger for my Panasonic Lumix..from Batt Depot and they arrived in 2 days..took 2 hours to charge and now my camera (the one I love!) works.  cameras these days just seem to be going down hill.

Turns out also that I'd rather spend the $ to install a baseboard heater in my room..so that'll be in the next month or two..esp. since we've had a bit of a cold snap here and it's been cold enough to switch to my boots, thick alpaca hat, handmade socks, and gloves.

hopefully, some new pics this weekend - of both audrey and the current Rapunzel.

Added 11/24: Audrey Photos

Audrey Full

Audrey Complete

and a close-up of the buttons, which I found in my stash - they're made of shell:

Audrey Buttons closeup

this next photo is a bit dark..but you get the idea of the button:

Audrey Buttons super closeup



Saturday, November 16, 2013

November Lavaliere

Completed Lavaliere and blocked..the cardi used just 2 skeins of bugga..and it was a bit of a challenge to do so. The fronts are a bit short..so i'm thinking i'll break the band on one of the valentine skeins which has a bit more red in it to add some width to the front bands to make it more closed.

Lavaliere Finished Smocking Photo (11/24):

Lavaliere Back Smocking Closeup

I'm beginning to realize as the weather grows colder that I do like having open cardis, but I like having the cardis cover my front, even if I choose to leave them open and not zip or button them.

Audrey in Unst is off the needles, and I will have to re-block the fronts to stretch a bit to close and not have that pulling on the buttons. I did find the perfect carved shell buttons in my stash. The arms are snug as well, so I will have to re-think ease options the next time round.

I have since started on Rapunzel, and lovely sport-weight pullover with cables on the side, and two triangle pieces with cables on the front and back. The pattern calls for a gauge swatch of the standard 24st/36R per 4" for sport weight yarn which the designer achieved on a US4, in the round and blocked. I met gauge on a US5, and like the fabric, so I picked a 34" size, and started. It's too big so far..i'm 8 rows in on a 53 row chart and it looks huge. Conservatively measured, it's 40" around, and I'm 37.5" at the hips, which is where the pullover starts, being knit from the bottom up.

I'm using bugga in Strawberry crab:

SG Bugga Strawberry Crab

and it's a joy to knit. I have 3 skeins well-matched - 2 from SG and 1 from CY, but perhaps I didn't take into account the stretch of the fabric..since the designer used a 100% merino yarn...or it may be that I haven't knit far enough to get the suckage of the cables that should happen.

So far, I like the yarn, and I want to knit the pattern..but I'm not liking the fact that I may have to either (a) ignore the gauge swatch or (b) rejig the pattern to fit me. Already, I had to do a bit of copier enlarging to get the charts to match for easier knitting.

Also, my camera battery officially died..won't hold a charge..so I have to buy a replacement battery and wait for that. In the meanwhile, I checked out new cameras..and I made an early Christmas purchase - a Canon Powershot Elph 330 which I'll have to test out soon. Primarily, I'm taking pics of yarn and projects not people, so color accuracy is important to me without having to rejig in software.

My skein yarn order arrived and colors are not as expected again. The denim dip-dye looked quite periwinkle on my monitor - skein's photo here:

and pic on kim's camera phone which arrived quite blue but not as expected..although a very soft base.

SkeinFMC_Denim

The topaz looked light and bright, but came dark and murky.

Here's skein's pic;

and the pic taken on my friend Kim's phone camera which has a much brighter aqua tone than actual. In person, the gray brown is more prominent:

SkeinFMC_Topaz

These skeins look pretty in the picture, but i'm not quite sure I like them in person.

Other pics to wait until I can get the camera up and running.

ETA: 11/24 - Skein yarn destashed locally to someone in my group who loves the colours!