Monday, May 14, 2007

A great place to nest

On Saturday afternoon, I heard this thrashing sound above my microwave, like a bird was caught in there. There were chirping sounds to. When I went to look outside, there was nothing there, and I couldn't see any holes where a bird could get in. The noises continued on Sunday and Monday (took the day off), and finally, I called the Audubon Society to see what could be going on.

The lady I spoke with thought it might be a starling trying to make it's nest in the microwave vent, and that I should wait a couple of weeks until the babies fledged (meaning, flew away). Another suggestion was to get a handy man to see if he could figure out what it was.

So, I called a roof guy I know who has a long ladder who could get up on the roof and see what was going on. He came by and discovered that there was a small vent on the side of the house where the exhaust from the microwave/stove took the air out. Apparently, this ingenious bird had been dragging grass, and dirt inside my microwave vent and filling it up with nest material. What a great idea! He scooped it out, and secured a piece of wire inside the opening, and also, on the outside to prevent the bird from going in again.

Not 5 minutes after the guy drove away, there was the same flapping sound. I went outside in time to see the bird trying to poke it's beak into the hole, and then, flying away. It was definitely a starling, and I hope it won't be coming back.

No comments:

black friday

I've updated the sale page with some key sales for Black Friday. I'm not doing a lot of yarn buying these days, so these are the on...