Saturday, August 13, 2011

The numbers

Never again will I sign up for a yearly challenge for projects..seems like I was doing just fine churning out projects until I signed up for the "12 in 2011" - the challenge to knit 1 a month. Adding the requirement has somehow made me knit slower and raised my standards for knitting so that I've been fussier instead of just knitting and churning the projects out.

I also tried to knit more complex projects this year I think, and be more sweater focused to use up the yarn.

Here were my previous numbers:
2010 - 21 projects
2009 - 18 projects
2008 - 17 projects (counted from April onwards only)

This year, for 2011, I'm barely keeping up - seems like I've been knitting less, or worrying more ?

Current status for projects -
6 of 12 finished
4 that I'm actively working on to finish;
3 on the needles that I haven't worked on in months, and
2 being swatched
About 5 or 6 in my mind that are queued next..and I don't think any of them were on my original queue planned for 2011 with the challenge in mind. Most of the patterns I picked ended up having "issues" of some kind - requiring heavy mods, or where other ravelers decided they weren't happy with the end product, so I ditched them.

7 projects hibernating that are knit mid-stream UFOs - stalled for some reason - misplaced pattern, halfway through and not getting gauge, overknit and need to rip back and determine if I can continue.

One thing I noticed was that this year with the challenge for 12, I tried to focus on finishing more, rather than just casting on projects when I felt like it, and knitting multiple projects.

Heed my words SELF, next year, I'm just knitting on my own without trying to reach some artifical "challenge".

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Could it be you're just naturally progressing to more complicated patterns?

I'm not counting my finished knits, this year has been dismal. (maybe it's just a bad year? The weather's been bad, maybe the knitting's bad, too?)

mprsdrose said...

I think I am trying to knit more sweaters this year and I did do more weaving the last 2 years...but my first sweater was intarsia and complex..so, who knows ?

Melissa @ Miso Crafty Knits said...

I think you're putting WAY too much pressure on yourself Michelle!!

And I have to agree with Wendy, I think you're just doing more complicated patterns and moving away from the quick knits. Really, when you look at some of the projects that some people who are also doing 12 in 2011, they're all hats and arm warmers knit up in bulky yarns! Not your fault you like to knit actual garments in fingering weight yarns!! ;)

black friday

I've updated the sale page with some key sales for Black Friday. I'm not doing a lot of yarn buying these days, so these are the on...