Monday, April 27, 2009

Whirlwind visit...

Went down to Portland for the weekend - just a short visit.

Primarily, the trip was for the Tigard Knitting Guild Shop Hop, which I had started in 2005. This time, it was Westside shops - Molehill Farm in Lake Oswego, Dublin Bay Knitting in downtown, Knit Purl in downtown, Northwest Wools in Multnomah Village and All About Yarn in Tigard. I was surprised and sad to see that Knitting Bee did not participate as it is one of my favorite shops.

We received 20% off everything all day - yarn, needles, patterns, accessories and books, and it being oregon - no tax (woohoo!). I did buy yarn, but found I was more conservative than normal. In several shops, I was done my shopping before the 1/2 time bell was rung. With just 60 mins in each shop, I actually found that I was a very efficient shopper. I guess subconsciously I know I have enough yarn.

Friday, I had my hair cut - it was time. It was getting scraggly. Went to Trader Joe's and picked up some dried hibiscus flower (which they had! - last time I found these at the end of summer and only found one bag), dried chili mango, and I brought back a couple of 1 pound chocolate bars for work folks.

Friday night and Saturday night, I met with friends for dinner at Peem Kaew, my favorite Thai restaurant in the Park blocks. Friday night, I picked Pumpkin Curry with Salmon which was very yummy and had a bit of a nip. Saturday night, I went back for more - split Pad Thai with Crab with Linda, and Kashmera picked a vegetarian dish with tofu which was good too.

PDX Friends

I had worn this fuchsia pink top and all day, guild friends were commenting on how my yarn matched my top. "Pink again", they would lament. In Multnomah Village, I went to Village Beads to take a peek, and picked up some nice blue triangle beads. Yes, they were blue-surprised a few people.

I was able to find some treats for my rav swap partner in the malabrigo swap, and sent along also the cool lantern moon bag we received in the swap. It was orange, not my color at all, and too bulky to bring home. Also in the bag, I received a Knit Picks needle gauge with magnifier, sample skeins from yarn pirate, and crystal palace, a ball of 1824 wool, and eucalan and soak samples. Also, some foofy black yarn which I donated back to the guild. On the bus, they did raffles again (as per the tradition I started), and I received a skein of yellow yarn from peace fleece and a set of russian-american straight needles. The yarn went in the bag to my swap partner who will be thoroughly spoiled. I hope she loves it.

Unfortunately, missed going to Border's books (favorite book store), and also to the Japanese Garden (not on summer hours yet). I did make it to the Gap for pants though.

All in all, a good visit. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lake Oswego, which was right next to where the shop hop started. The beds are supremely comfy, and it's kind of a kick to sit in a Herman Miller chair since they cost about $1000 bucks.

Breakfast was $9.95 for a full buffet with yummy pineapple and melon, cereal, yogurt, eggs, hashbrowns, and sausage; coffee and juice. The car I booked through priceline at $17/day for an economy car. win-win.

No comments:

black friday

I've updated the sale page with some key sales for Black Friday. I'm not doing a lot of yarn buying these days, so these are the on...