Sunday, July 06, 2008

Great Weekend!

Well, what a fabulous weekend I had...Friday off and I went out to my storage unit and reacquainted myself with part of my stash. I rescued a couple of UFO projects too, and hope to finish those off soon. One was my Bamboo top from a few summer's ago, i'm in the end zone, and don't have the pattern with me (ugh!). Also, found a lovely berry-coloured Debbie Bliss Cashmerino bolero that I love, and it's done. I'm wearing it around the house now. I also found the footie variation I was working on from the One Skein book. Since Jen K. (different Jen from the ships last weekend) lent me her book, it was timely that the instructions are there, so I ripped back to the beginning of the gusset, and have started to re-knit. It's lovely - Lorna's Laces in Vera - my favorite fuchsia-purpley-pink colour, brown, green, and an off-white. Also, an Adrienne Vittadini shawl collared pullover but haven't found the Vogue Knitting Winter 2004/05 magazine yet to piece it together.

On Saturday I went shopping with my mom to Gala Fabrics downtown on Douglas St. They're having a SALE; yes, I said, SALE - until July 20th. Silk is 25-30% off, and most of the synthetics are 30-50% off, even the rems are on sale. While I was there, I noticed another customer who was wearing a cool cabled sweater. I asked if she knit it herself, and she said Yes. Turns out we're both on Ravelry - so it's a small world after all. Very cool to find another knitter in Victoria.

Mom and I also had a late lunch at Murchie's and I wandered into Breeze and found another couple of cool tops on sale (and I do mean cool, as in, I'll be able to wear something and not boil when the sun hits the 80s or 90s again). Then, to Hillside to look for sandals for me, and to visit the shoe cobbler.

At Hillside, the cobbler was very nice, and identified that the shoe insert I had slipped down under as it was too small. Actually, I'd been digging it down inside the heel of my boot for awhile, and the rains from Portland had once or twice soaked the inside, and that coupled with another heel insert which I'd torn out and taken a huge hunk out of the inside of the shoe, had left a rather unsightly hole, on the inside of the bottom where my heel went, such that not only did it look like a small mouse had taken a large bite, I was also working on building a large callus on my heel. Ouch. Now, to wait a week-and-a-HALF to get my boot returned. Hope the weather is warm and sunny so I can use my new sandals and not worry about missing these boots.

Sunday - I went to Ursa's house to dye yarn - yes, I said, "Dye Yarn". Well, I brought the yarn myself (from yarn I'd accumulated for awhile at various shows and Knit Picks, and a few Wilton Dyes. She had a very nice set up - easy to lay the yarn out, dip dye it in various colours and wrap it up to steam in the microwave. A very happy and pleasing experience all in all; and I'm definitely inspired both by the dyeing dipping process, and the colours that resulted. My 3 skeins are hanging up to dry as we speak, and I hope to post pics soon.

No comments:

black friday

I've updated the sale page with some key sales for Black Friday. I'm not doing a lot of yarn buying these days, so these are the on...